Thursday, April 23, 2015

Need a Change


Lately I've been thinking about making some changes.  By changes I mean health changes.  I'm not one for diet's.  I hate the thought of giving up foods I love.  I hate exercising.  So how does one get back in shape and make healthy changes when one loves pasta, pizza, Oreo's, cake and the list goes on and on.




Yes, I know there are lots of healthy alternatives out there for most of the things I love but I've tried some of those and they just don't taste the best to me.  I'm all about the taste.  If a product taste just as good as the one I normally eat I'm more then happy to eat it.  But if I don't enjoy the taste I'm not going to eat it.  My other problem is I'm a late night eater.  Like right now it's 10:42 PM and I'm wanting to go downstairs and get a piece of cake or some ice cream.  So instead I'm drinking a BIG glass of water.  But now I REALLY want that piece of cake.

Okay off food as I am getting really hungry.  Exercising!  Yes that yucky E word!  I'm not one for going to the gym.  I hate the feeling that everyone is watching me, judging me and thinking why is she here!  So I got an elliptical but that's just collecting dust in the spare bedroom.  I stopped using it as I was having some hip pain again.  So to start off a little easier I got a walking DVD.  I really do like it and have made it up to the 2 mile walk.  Now you may say it's just walking but you get a really good workout, especially if you haven't been active for a long time plus I'm at least doing something.

So I'm going to make a promise to myself.  I have no one to answer to but myself.  I'm going to make a more conscience effort to pay more attention to what I'm eating.  I'm going to set an alarm on my phone to remind me get up and do my walking DVD or to take Colt for a walk around our block.  Is this going to be easy, NO!  But I'm going to do it.  Right after I finish the Oreo's sitting in the pantry (just kidding I'll save those for Colt).

So maybe someone or everyone could check in once in awhile to see how things are going, email me a recipe or a fitness tip.   Wish me luck, it's time for a change!

14 comments:

  1. This is one of my goals for the year! Let's find a way to keep ourselves accountable! We could do a Facebook group and post when we worked out and what we did? find something that we could have as a reward when we reach goals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea Kelsey. I know this can be hard to do alone and I only have a 2 year old to answer to. lol

      Delete
  2. Congrats Deanna on taking the initiative to make the changes you want to see in yourself. Just taking that first step is more than most people do! As someone that's just starting out as a life coach for women my best advice would be to be patient with yourself as you incorporate these changes into your life. When we try to transform too quickly we tend to make things overwhelming and difficult which leads to failure. I'm a huge believer in baby steps! I think what you said is great but maybe try to break those goals into measurable baby steps so you feel like you are accomplishing something. Let me know if you want any help with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Today I actually had two eggs for breakfast, which I never do. Then my son and I went for a short walk before lunch. Baby steps for me otherwise I don't think i could do it. My cousin and I are going to start a group on Facebook to help support each other and some others in our family as she wants to do the same. Thank you for the advice and I will let you know if I need help.

      Delete
    2. That's so awesome Deanna! It sounds like you have a great plan in place :)

      Delete
  3. Walking is definitely something! Walking is my main form or exercise and I always feel so great after. I walk really fast (on the reg)...and its completely invigorating. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the DVD's as it slowing picks up the pace and once in awhile my 2 year will join in too.

      Delete
  4. I so feel you! I HATE exercising. My husband and I realized lately that we were getting really lazy. I think it was all the post wedding relaxation and the fact that it was winter in NYC! What I've found for us is that it's easy if we don't buy junk. I also try to premake snacks, meals, etc. so that way we don't get lazy and grab whatever is easy or order out. It's helped a ton! We let ourselves have a treat once a week and that's usually a really crappy meal or cake or something tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My crappy pick would be cake! Keeping up with a two year old tires me out so I've been using that as an excuse for not working out, not anymore. I use to go to Zumba before we moved to Fort Wayne but I have lost my babysitter so no more Zumba :(

      Delete
  5. You can do it girl. Though, who am I to say anything when I can't get myself to stick with working out either! Just continue with your baby steps and you'll get to where you want to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Just to remember that change does not happen overnight.

      Delete
  6. Congrats for deciding to make this change! Making a change in your lifestyle is huge. But you know what? Once you find something you love, you can't figure out how life was without it.

    I really enjoy yoga. It's not a crazy work out like going to the gym would be, and it's really good for self-care (mentally, emotionally, physically).

    Also, a tip for eating healthier: don't go cold-turkey. Worst idea ever. Just pick one part and try and change it. If you like that cake at night, and you can't go without food, try strawberries instead. It's not the same but it'll give you a bit of sweetness without the added sugar. One by one you will build a new you.

    I believe in you! It's never easy, but it's totally worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like yoga too. swapping fruit for cake is a great idea, our son LOVES fresh fruit so it's always in the house.

      Delete
  7. I used to have the same insecurities about going to the gym as you do. And I didn't get over it easily. In fact, I still have moments where I think someone is watching me and judging my workout or me in general. But I've started telling myself that anyone who has time to judge my workout probably isn't working out hard enough themselves. I know I'm only focused on me in the gym, and I like to think most others are as well.

    ReplyDelete